Rural Life of Bangladesh Reflected in Hashem Khan’s Painting
Hashem Khan is considered as one of the key figures in Bangladesh art scenario. Born in Chandpur, Hashem Khan was graduated from the Faculty of Fine Art, Dhaka University in 1961. He was a Professor at the Faculty of Fine Art, University of Dhaka with 44-year experience and retired in the year 2007. He has achieved Ekushey Padak and Independence Day Award (The highest civilian award in Bangladesh) for his significant contributions in art and culture. Rural lifestyle is very unique in Bangladesh. Many poets, musicians, visual artists have taken inspiration from rural culture and life style of Bangladesh. His works reproduce the natural beauty of the village, rural life, and plenty of other things. He has used traditional folk colours like yellow, orange and green in his paintings and used folk motifs. Hashem Khan has done semi-realistic style of narration to communicate to the common people and also used vibrant colours in his paintings. The researcher here has selected the works of the artist for discussion and analysis from the exhibitions which were held from 1980 to 2018 in different art galleries in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh and also from two catalogues, which articulate 143 plates. The researcher has analysed his contents of the paintings. Besides the researcher also closely analysed the colours, composition and forms of the painting.
Painting, rural life, Bangladesh, Hashem Khan, art
Hashem Khan: Interview. (July, 2019). The Design Magazine. 18.
Hashem Khan’s Special Exhibition Opens Friday. (2020). The Daily Sun. https://www.daily-sun.com/post/279742/2018/01/04/Hashem-Khan%E2%80%99s-special-exhibition-opens-Friday---
Khan, F, (October 1, 2005). Hashem Khan’s Saga of Colours. The Financial Express, p. 13.
Mammon, M. (Ed.). (2000). Hashem Khan. Dhaka: Bangladesh Shilpokala Academy.
Sarkar, S. (June 27, 2019). Country boats: Nation’s ever-living emblem. The Financial Express. https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/views/country-boats-nations-ever-living-emblem-1561648776
Shamsuzzaman, M. M. et al., (2017). Fisheries resources of Bangladesh: Present status and future direction. Aquaculture and Fisheries, 2(4), 145-156. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468550X16300260
Zaman, M. (March 19, 2020). A close encounter with Hashem Khan. New Age. https://www.newagebd.net/article/102666/a-close-encounter-with-hashem-khan
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
UiTM Press (the Publisher) has agreed to publish the undersigned author’s paper in Idealogy Journal. The agreement is contingent upon the fulfilment of a number of requirements listed below.
1. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below is original, that it is not in any way libellous or unlawful in Malaysia, that it does not infringe any copyright or other proprietary right. The undersigned hereby represents and warrants that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required. The undersigned represents that he/she has the power and authority to sign and execute this agreement.
2. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below has not been published elsewhere, and also it will not be submitted anywhere else for publication prior to acceptance/rejection by this Journal.
3. By submitting the paper entitled below, the undersigned author agrees to transfer the rights to publish and distribute the paper in an international e-journal (entitled above) to Publisher.
4. The undersigned author agrees to make a reasonable effort to conform to Publisher's submission guidelines and to liaise with the editor to ensure that the requirements of these guidelines are met to a reasonable degree.
5. The corresponding author signs for and accepts responsibility for releasing this material on behalf of any and all coauthors. This agreement is to be signed by at least one of the authors who has obtained the assent of the co-author(s) where applicable. After submission of this agreement signed by the corresponding author, changes of authorship or in the order of the authors listed will not be accepted.