Study of Symbol for The Kasunanan Surakarta Palace Through The Spradley Etnography Approach
Hadiningrat said that the Kasunanan Surakarta was a fraction of Islamic Mataram when the Giyanti Agreement was approved. Historically, since the transfer movement of the capital Islamic Mataram Kingdom from Kartasura to Surakarta, the name of Keraton Surakarta Hadiningrat was turn up. This incident can be used as a benchmark for the presence of the palace symbol from the running of the government. Ethnography does not only study about society, but also learns from society (Spradley, 1980: 2). In this research, the theoretical approach that used to interpret and analyze the pattern of the Kasunanan Surakarta symbol is through the six ethnographic levels of James P. Spradley.
Symbol, Palace, Surakarta, Ethnography, Spradley.
Geertz, Clifford. (1973). The Interpretations of Cultures: Selected Essays. New York: Basic Book Inc. Publishers.
Gustami, SP. (2007). Butir-butir Mutiara Estetika Timur: Ide Dasar Penciptaan Seni Kriya Indonesia. Yogyakarta: Prasista.
Kartodirdjo, Sartono. (2014). Pengantar Sejarah Indonesia Baru: 1500-1900 – dari Emporium sampai Imperium (Jilid I). Yogyakarta: Ombak.
Koentjaraningrat. (1994). Kebudayaan Mentalitas dan Pembangunan. Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Lombard, Denys. (1996). Nusa Jawa: Silang Budaya: Batas-batas Pembaratan (Vol.1 & 3) atau Le Carrefour Javanais (1990), Terjemahan, PT. Gramedia. Jakarta: Gramedia.
Magnis-Suseno, Franz. (1995). Wayang dan Panggilan Manusia. Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Projomartono. (1984). Penjelasan Singkat Mengenai Bangunan Keraton Surakarta. Surakarta: Tiga Serangkai.
Raffles, Thomas Stamford. (2014). The History of Java, atau The History of Java (1817), Terjemahan, Eko Prasetyaningrum dkk. Yogyakarta: Narasi.
Sartre, Jean-Paul. (1972). The Psychology of Imagination. New York: Citadel.
Simuh. (1988), Mistik Islam Kejawen: Raden Ngabehi Ranggawarsita Jakarta: Universitas Indonesia Press.
Spradley, James P. (1980). Participant Observation. United States of America: Rinehart and Winston.
Subagya, Rahmat. (1973). Kepercayaan, Kebatinan, Kerohanian, Kejiwaan, dan Agama, Yogyakarta: Yayasan Kanisius.
Sumardjo, Jakob. (2013). Arkeologi Budaya Indonesia: Pelacakan Hermeneutic-Historis terhadap Artefak-artefak Kebudayaan Indonesia. Yogyakarta: Qalam.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
UiTM Press (the Publisher) has agreed to publish the undersigned author’s paper in Idealogy Journal. The agreement is contingent upon the fulfilment of a number of requirements listed below.
1. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below is original, that it is not in any way libellous or unlawful in Malaysia, that it does not infringe any copyright or other proprietary right. The undersigned hereby represents and warrants that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required. The undersigned represents that he/she has the power and authority to sign and execute this agreement.
2. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below has not been published elsewhere, and also it will not be submitted anywhere else for publication prior to acceptance/rejection by this Journal.
3. By submitting the paper entitled below, the undersigned author agrees to transfer the rights to publish and distribute the paper in an international e-journal (entitled above) to Publisher.
4. The undersigned author agrees to make a reasonable effort to conform to Publisher's submission guidelines and to liaise with the editor to ensure that the requirements of these guidelines are met to a reasonable degree.
5. The corresponding author signs for and accepts responsibility for releasing this material on behalf of any and all coauthors. This agreement is to be signed by at least one of the authors who has obtained the assent of the co-author(s) where applicable. After submission of this agreement signed by the corresponding author, changes of authorship or in the order of the authors listed will not be accepted.