Cosmology in Contemporary Public Sculpture
The aim of this paper is to study the aspect of cosmological characteristic that relates to the contemporary art works of Ramlan Abdullah. His art work entitled ‘Connectivity’ is currently exhibited at the Laman Seni Arca located at the premises of UiTM Seri Iskandar, Perak. The public artworks consist of five constructed tubular aluminum and stainless steels structure that were created in massive scale. Each sculpture represented the artist passion and artistic experience in life ranging from tittle such as Ayden, Aydan, Sundial, seed and Double Disc. Meanwhile, Cosmology has always been an interesting part of human exploration and investigation on the mystery of the universe. It has been explored by many and has been referred to since the invention of traditional art of the Malays. In the practice of Malay custom, cosmology has been observed and appreciated as apart of Malay tradition. This paper will study on the relations and aspect of cosmology that underlying contemporary public art work. The formalistic and contextual part that relates to this and the elements that connected to it. It will focus on the method of observation through visual preferences and discussion on art appreciation according to Feldman model of Art criticism. The study will provide information on characteristic of elements that relates to cosmology and contemporary public art.
Keywords: Cosmology, Public sculpture, Contemporary
Abdullah et all. (2022). Cosmology of the Malay Realm. Research paper. NVEO 9(1): 146-156.
Champion. N. (2017). The importance of cosmology in culture, Chapter Metric.
Mohamad Zain. S. (2013) The Edge. News article July 4th . Arus melayu forum. Georgetown festival. Penang Institute.
Mohamad Khali.M. . (2022). ‘Connectivity’ by Ramlan Abdullah. Exhibition catalogue. Segaris Art Centre. Kuala Lumpur
Ward, J., & Shortt, H. (2020). Using Arts-Based Methods of Research: A Critical Introduction to the
Development of Arts-Based Research Methods. In Using Arts-based Research Methods (pp. 1-13). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
Feldman, E.B. (1994). Practical art criticism. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Biron. L. (2019). Behind the cosmic design. Exhibition article. Symmetry magazine. Fermilab/SLAC Publication.
Obelisk Art History LLC. (2022) Themes in Art. Astronomy. Andreas Cellarius. 1660.Harmonia Macrocosmica Plates.
Christie ‘s (2021) Abu Rayyan Muhammad ibnu Ahmad Al Biruni. Kitab Al Tafnim Li Awail Sinaa At Tanjim Circa 14th Century. Related article Christie’s article auction.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
UiTM Press (the Publisher) has agreed to publish the undersigned author’s paper in Idealogy Journal. The agreement is contingent upon the fulfilment of a number of requirements listed below.
1. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below is original, that it is not in any way libellous or unlawful in Malaysia, that it does not infringe any copyright or other proprietary right. The undersigned hereby represents and warrants that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required. The undersigned represents that he/she has the power and authority to sign and execute this agreement.
2. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below has not been published elsewhere, and also it will not be submitted anywhere else for publication prior to acceptance/rejection by this Journal.
3. By submitting the paper entitled below, the undersigned author agrees to transfer the rights to publish and distribute the paper in an international e-journal (entitled above) to Publisher.
4. The undersigned author agrees to make a reasonable effort to conform to Publisher's submission guidelines and to liaise with the editor to ensure that the requirements of these guidelines are met to a reasonable degree.
5. The corresponding author signs for and accepts responsibility for releasing this material on behalf of any and all coauthors. This agreement is to be signed by at least one of the authors who has obtained the assent of the co-author(s) where applicable. After submission of this agreement signed by the corresponding author, changes of authorship or in the order of the authors listed will not be accepted.