THEMATIC ANALYSIS OF SELF - EXPERIENCE, CULTURAL EXPRESSION AND ISLAMIC EXPRESSION ON HARON MOKHTAR'S SERIES OF PAINTINGS
Haron Mokhtar has begun his career as an artist since 1980s and became popular since he won the Major Award in the Bakat Muda Sezaman at National Visual Arts Gallery (BSLN) in 1987 and been awarded an Anugerah Darjah Kebesaran Setia Mahkota Selangor Yang Amat Mulia (2014). However, the documentations about his works are still lack. Thus, this research paper conducted to documenting the themes that used by Haron Mokhtar’s in creating artwork. A close observation towards all the eight (8) series of Haron Mokhtar’s paintings was conducted in order to analyze and identify the themes of the paintings. Those series of paintings are ‘Siri Kaseh Sayang’ (1995), In Persuit of Penang (1999), ‘Siri Atas Bawah Pusaka’ (2005), ‘Siri Sutera Mengadap Tuanku Sultan’ (2009), ‘Siri Warisan’ (2011), ‘Siri Dari Kulaan Studio ke Istana Mestika’ (2012-2014), Yesteryears Series (2015) and ‘Siri Perakam Waktu” (2018). From the analysis, researcher has come up with three (3) main themes which are Self-Expression, Cultural Expression and Islamic Expression. All the themes applied by the artist have put his painting on high demand for both locally and abroad.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
UiTM Press (the Publisher) has agreed to publish the undersigned author’s paper in Idealogy Journal. The agreement is contingent upon the fulfilment of a number of requirements listed below.
1. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below is original, that it is not in any way libellous or unlawful in Malaysia, that it does not infringe any copyright or other proprietary right. The undersigned hereby represents and warrants that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required. The undersigned represents that he/she has the power and authority to sign and execute this agreement.
2. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below has not been published elsewhere, and also it will not be submitted anywhere else for publication prior to acceptance/rejection by this Journal.
3. By submitting the paper entitled below, the undersigned author agrees to transfer the rights to publish and distribute the paper in an international e-journal (entitled above) to Publisher.
4. The undersigned author agrees to make a reasonable effort to conform to Publisher's submission guidelines and to liaise with the editor to ensure that the requirements of these guidelines are met to a reasonable degree.
5. The corresponding author signs for and accepts responsibility for releasing this material on behalf of any and all coauthors. This agreement is to be signed by at least one of the authors who has obtained the assent of the co-author(s) where applicable. After submission of this agreement signed by the corresponding author, changes of authorship or in the order of the authors listed will not be accepted.