Chempaka: A Flora Motif as Design Identity in Batik Chempaka, PPDK Merbok
Batik Malaysia refers to the traditional Malaysian art of batik-making which includes the application
of wax and dyes to cloth to produce elaborate patterns and design. Batik has a long history in Malaysia
and is a key part of the country’s cultural legacy, representing its identity and customs. This paper
discusses the floral motif as design identity and production of the Chempaka flower motif. It explores
the history and cultural significance of the Chempaka flower motif in batik making and how it has been
adapted to create modern design. Overall, the paper concludes with the importance of the Cempaka
flower motif as a design identity and the need to preserve its cultural significance in the batik industry.
Keywords: Batik design, Batik industry, Batik motif, Batik identity.
Abdullah, A. H., & Samin, M. A. (2020). The sustainability of flora, fauna and geometric motif designs among batik tulis manufacturers in klang valley. International Journal of Heritage, Art and Multimedia, 3(9), 11-24.
Kari, R., Samin, M. A., & Legino, R. (2020). The flora motif as design identity in local traditional Block Batik. Environment-Behaviour Proceedings Journal, 5(SI3), 123-127.
Morni, A. A. M., Samin, M. A., & Legino, R. (2021). Floral Motifs Design on Sarawak Traditional Malay Songket. Environment-Behaviour Proceedings Journal, 6(SI4), 63-66.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
UiTM Press (the Publisher) has agreed to publish the undersigned author’s paper in Idealogy Journal. The agreement is contingent upon the fulfilment of a number of requirements listed below.
1. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below is original, that it is not in any way libellous or unlawful in Malaysia, that it does not infringe any copyright or other proprietary right. The undersigned hereby represents and warrants that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required. The undersigned represents that he/she has the power and authority to sign and execute this agreement.
2. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below has not been published elsewhere, and also it will not be submitted anywhere else for publication prior to acceptance/rejection by this Journal.
3. By submitting the paper entitled below, the undersigned author agrees to transfer the rights to publish and distribute the paper in an international e-journal (entitled above) to Publisher.
4. The undersigned author agrees to make a reasonable effort to conform to Publisher's submission guidelines and to liaise with the editor to ensure that the requirements of these guidelines are met to a reasonable degree.
5. The corresponding author signs for and accepts responsibility for releasing this material on behalf of any and all coauthors. This agreement is to be signed by at least one of the authors who has obtained the assent of the co-author(s) where applicable. After submission of this agreement signed by the corresponding author, changes of authorship or in the order of the authors listed will not be accepted.