Understanding the Meaning and Symbols of Animals in Visual Artwork: A Case Study of Five Selected Works in the SI + SA 2020 Exhibition
Visual artwork is a platform to convey the meaning of the theme chosen in producing the work. However, it is difficult to understand the meaning through the symbols highlighted by the artist. Based on that situation the objective of this study is to collect information on visual artworks that apply animal symbols in the SI + SA 2020 exhibition. Five artists have been identified using animal symbols in the production of their artwork. This study is based on qualitative research approach using four types of data; namely the study of literature that explains the meaning and symbol of animals from the point of view of previous scientific writing. The second method is based on information obtained from the artist statement in the SI + SA 2020 Exhibition catalogue. The third method, the researcher interviewed (partially structured) five artists who have been selected using animal symbols in their artwork. The fourth method is to use the theory of Edmund Burke Feldman (1994) which has four stages in the theory, namely description, analysis, interpretation and evaluation. Triangulation (qualitative) studies are conducted to obtain more data and the validity of the findings obtained. The result shows an understanding of the meaning and symbol varies according to the needs of the individual or society. Some artists associate symbols in the context of personal experiences or observations of an event. Symbols can also carry meaning in the context of social sciences. In the production of their artworks, the use of symbols is a method to convey a message and an easier way to communicate. Conclusion clearly shows that the meaning of these animal symbols depends on different personal perceptions - different from the references studied. It can reveal to the general public that the use of animal symbols applied in the work can carry various meanings. Researchers suggest for future studies to conduct comprehensive research on the use of symbols in contemporary visual arts Malaysia.
Work, Symbol, Meaning, Animal, Triangulation Data
Bagja, W. (2007) Sosiologi: Menyelami Fenomena Social Di Masyarakat untuk kelas X Sekolah Menengah Atas/Madrasah Aliyah. Bandung, Indonesia: Penerbit PT Setia Purna Inves.
Eizah, M. H. (2019) Simbol Dan Makna Dalam Pantun Melayu. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Institusi Terjemahan & Buku Malaysia Berhad
Eizah, M. H., Tengku, I. M. T. M. A., & Salina, J. Simbol Tumbuhan Dalam Pantun Dari Perspektif Puitika Sastera Melayu. Retrieved on December 15, 2020 from https://mjir.um.edu.my/index.php/JPM/article/view/9702
Febi, A.S. & Diella, F. R. (2019) Analisis Kontrastif Simbol Metafora Dan Budaya Dalam Takhayul Masyarakat Jepang Dan Indonesia. Retrieved on December, 15, 2020 from https://ejournal.unitomo.ac.id/index.php/ayumi/article/viewFile/2155/1021
Hendra, S. (2018) Pengantar Ilmu Ekonomi. Retrieved on December 14, 2020 from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/198238861.pdf.
Junaini, K., Nor, H. J. & Wan, N. W. I. (2016) Ikan (Pisces) dalam Peribahasa Melayu: Analisis Semantik Inkuisitif. Retrieved on October 25, 2020 from http://journalarticle.ukm.my/10898/
Liza, M., Hamdzuan, H., Abdul, L. S., Ahmad, R. H., & Jasni, D. (2015). Analisis Formalistik Dalam Memaknai Simbol Budaya Melayu Retrieved on December 15, 2020 from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290867518_ANALISIS_FORMALISTIK_DALAM_MEMAKNAI_SIMBOL_BUDAYA_MELAYU_ABSTRAK_012-6304441/link/569c646f08ae748dfb106516/download
Pusat Rujukan Persuratan Melayu. (2017). Makna Ikan. Dewan Bahasa Dan Pustaka.
Saidatul, N. H. M, Mohd. R. S. (2013) Haiwan Sebagai Perlambangan Dalam Peribahasa Orang Semai. Retrieved on December, 15, 2020 from https://ejournal.ukm.my/gema/article/view/2224
Shukur, k. Iskandar, z. & Cut, A. M. (2017). Pesan-Pesan Komunikasi Islam Dalam Tarian Tradisional Seudati Aceh Retrieved on December, 18, 2020 from http://jurnal.uinsu.ac.id/index.php/balagh/article/view/908/704
Sunaryo, A. (2009) Ornamen Nusantara. Semarang, Indonesia: Dahara Prize.
Tri, A. S.S., M.Pd , Monika, H. B.Ed, Rizki, U. S.Pd., M.Li” (2019) Sisi Historis Dan Sisi Kultural Simbolisasi Ayam Jantan Dalam Lintas Budaya. Retrieved on 13 December 2020 from http://jurnal.lppm.unsoed.ac.id/ojs/index.php/Prosiding/article/viewFile/1106/960
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
UiTM Press (the Publisher) has agreed to publish the undersigned author’s paper in Idealogy Journal. The agreement is contingent upon the fulfilment of a number of requirements listed below.
1. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below is original, that it is not in any way libellous or unlawful in Malaysia, that it does not infringe any copyright or other proprietary right. The undersigned hereby represents and warrants that he/she is the author of the paper, except for material that is clearly identified as to its original source, with permission notices from the copyright owners where required. The undersigned represents that he/she has the power and authority to sign and execute this agreement.
2. The undersigned author warrants that the paper entitled below has not been published elsewhere, and also it will not be submitted anywhere else for publication prior to acceptance/rejection by this Journal.
3. By submitting the paper entitled below, the undersigned author agrees to transfer the rights to publish and distribute the paper in an international e-journal (entitled above) to Publisher.
4. The undersigned author agrees to make a reasonable effort to conform to Publisher's submission guidelines and to liaise with the editor to ensure that the requirements of these guidelines are met to a reasonable degree.
5. The corresponding author signs for and accepts responsibility for releasing this material on behalf of any and all coauthors. This agreement is to be signed by at least one of the authors who has obtained the assent of the co-author(s) where applicable. After submission of this agreement signed by the corresponding author, changes of authorship or in the order of the authors listed will not be accepted.